Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tin Can Lid Upcycling Project for Valentine's Day


When is comes to tin can lids, I've got you covered! With 2 little kids around the house, we eat plenty of soup and spaghettios so tin cans and lids are never in short supply! And I'm always trying to figure out another good way to put them to good use. Today I'll share with you a Valentine project using can lids as artwork. :)

I started with a simple dollar store frame that I had laying around the house, painting it red. I cut some burlap to the outside size of the frame. Then I got out my trusty old tin can lids and used some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint™ in Graphite to paint them. I cut out some red gingham scrapbook paper for the letters and used Mod Podge to glue them onto the dried lids. 

I got out my box-o-ribbon and found some great bright teal that I new I'd love with the red. Placing the lids onto the burlap so I could get my placement correct, I cut each ribbon the desired length and glued them to the backs of the lids. Once the ribbon was dry, I then glued the ribbon to the back of the frame. The only thing left was stapling the burlap to the back of the frame. Or so I thought...


Looking at my creation, I couldn't help feeling like something was missing. So I ended up cutting out a stencil in the scroll pattern and painted that directly onto the burlap with the Graphite Chalk Paint. I'm so glad I decided to add that finishing touch. I just love scrollwork! :) 


And that was it. Another Valentine creation done. And I managed to use up some of my stash of tin can lids, too! (Not that this project really made a huge dent! But I'll find some more uses for them. I just know it! lol)   

5 comments:

  1. so cute, and I think the scroll was the perfect finishing touch too! t.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa! I was just reading your Facebook post about using treasured things when you're creating. I can relate. As if saving them really does much good. And, yet, it's so difficult to actually use them and know may have to part with them. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. Love your latest project, especially that detailing!

      Delete
  3. Normally they end up in the recyling, but this upcycling idea is much, much better. The red and teal works really well together.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover